Looking Up

Wonderful Husband sometimes has a twisted view of things. Recently, we had a conversation about the Metro ride from Arlington into D.C. This is a route I used to take every day that entails crossing the Potomac. I was talking about looking down at the river, when WH says, "You shouldn't look down." I couldn't figure out why not, so I asked.

Wonderful Husband: You may see a body and then you're involved.

WashingTina: How am I involved?

WH: Well, if there's a body floating in the water, then you have to call the police and they want to know why, of all the people on the train, you were the only one who noticed the body. Then you have to go down to the station and tell them what you saw. And you can't ignore it, because your conscience is going to haunt you. So just don't look down because then you'll be involved.

WT: Oh, okay.

WH: It's the same reason why you don't look in a dark alley.

WT: Why not? I don't understand.

WH: Because you may see something you're not supposed to: there's a drug deal going down or somebody's getting whacked. Then you're collateral damage. You can beg and say, "I didn't see anything," and beg for your life, but it's too late. You're already involved. I thought everybody knew this. I don't make the rules, I just follow them.

It does make sense. There was a story a few years back where Lynda Carter (a transplanted Washingtonian, better known as Wonder Woman), rowing on the Potomac, and she discoved a body floating in the water. So, because of that haunting picture, and the fact that I don't really want to be involved or get whacked, from now on, if you see me on the train, I'll be looking up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Little Mary Sunshine

Independence Day