Haiku for Haiti

I'm going to veer a little off topic (Washington) for a bit tonight. Like much of the world, I've been so moved by the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti that I want to do something to help. The images are gut wrenching, the devastation debilitating.

Today on my Facebook page, I asked all my friends to post a Haiku for Haiti . . . and for every haiku posted, I'd donate $1 to the relief efforts. They responded with gusto -- at last count there were 50 haiku (and a total raised of $400) -- and several friends even said they'd match whatever the final number was. Not only was it something kind of fun, but also made me feel like I was at least doing something. My friends rose to the occasion with generosity that wasn't necessarily unexpected, but heartwarming never the less.

I want to share some of the haiku here in the hopes that maybe it will inspire others to give.

Obama now speaks:
"losses are nothing less than
devastating." sad.
-Francisco

Haiti needs our help
Hispanola cries in pain
Will the world respond?
-Brian

Haiti, oh Haiti
The land of my forefathers
Help the people live
-Ann

Losses are too great
Despair prevails all around
Haiti's in our hearts
-Cheryl

It makes me wonder
If we can all be helpful
More often than now...
-Kevin

Our Haitian neighbors
don't need devil-doom preachers
they need our support!
-Dottie

Earthquake Tragedy
Helps bring mankind together
Praying for Haiti.
-Peter

Haiti in my prayers
Together we all can help
All our love and peace
-Molly

I was not the first
but even if I am last
still obliged to help
-Kanisha


Thank you my wonderful friends! What can YOU do to help? A list of charities below are already on the ground in Haiti, providing resources directly to the people in need.

Save the Children
http://www.savethechildren.org/

Doctors Without Borders
http://doctorswithoutborders.org/

United Methodist Committee on Relief
http://secure.gbgm-umc.org/donations/umcor/donate.cfm?code=418325&id=3018760

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Little Mary Sunshine

Independence Day