Thankful for What?

It's no secret that this has been a hard year (hard few years, to be clear). And WH and I have been struggling. It's easy to get lost in that struggle, to forget that there is sunshine, to wallow. As Thanksgiving and the holiday season approaches, it's a stark reminder of what we don't have. But that's a rabbit hole I'm trying very hard not to let myself fall down.

I could easily think about how WH and I aren't able to be together. But instead, I'm thankful that we have each other. That we are in this thing together. That we bolster each other on those days that seem darkest. I'm thankful that we haven't lost each other even as we have lost so much else.

I could let myself feel all alone. But instead, I'm thankful for family and friends who have given of themselves to make sure that we aren't alone. To make sure that we feel loved. These warriors in our army have given their time, their money, their tears, their souls to make sure that we feel supported.

I could despair that we're not going to cook dinner together and sit around in our comfy pants after our Thanksgiving meal, dozing off in front of the TV. But instead, I'm thankful that our families will be together. Maybe it's not in the way we all wanted, but we will be together. Laughing, eating, loving, enjoying -- because we are suvivors.

I could look back at this awful, awful year and wonder where has it gone. But instead, I'm thankful for the time we had this year to keep fighting. For the time ahead of us that will surely bring better days and relief and wellness. Time -- it's the greatest thing we have as we continue to fight.

No, friends, I am not going to get lost in the quagmire that we've been slogging through. I'm going to hold my head up, power forward, and be thankful for the incredible gifts that we've been given this year. Because even through all of the loss and illness and struggle, we have been pretty damn lucky. And I know that there's more good to come.


For more information about environmental illness, mold, and mycotoxin poisoning, read here, here, and here, and watch video here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Mary Sunshine

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Independence Day